Sunday, July 3, 2016

Few Words About Dhaka

The day before yesterday,seven terrorists took hold of a cafe in Dhaka, and took the people hostage. I am currently in Dhaka, and was witnessing the whole thing on live TV as missions to rescue the hostages were carried out. 

The hostage crisis took place in Gulshan, a diplomatic and a wealthy area of Dhaka.The hostages were mostly non-Bangladeshis. What really shook me yesterday is the fact that my dad works in that area, and he could have been in the café as well. Gulshan is 6 miles away from my home, and having something like that going on so close was emotionally draining. However, I do feel that as someone who was so close to this whole thing, I should say something.

Opening up the morning news paper was heart achingly painful. The police forces carried out a commando mission to rescue the hostages, but 20 hostages were already killed. 2 police officials also lost their lives. The wife of one of the police officials is expecting a child. This unfortunate child will never see its father. As previously stated, most of the hostages were non-Bangladeshis. Most of them were Italians, but also included Indians, Japanese and Bangladeshis. The Bangladeshis who were killed, were young and in college in America. They had just returned to the country to celebrate Eid with their families. Just like me. 

Similarly bothering is the fact that this took place  not only during Ramadan, a month of self reflection, peace and solidarity, but also on Jumatul Bidah--the last Friday of Ramadan-- which is considered especially sacred. I believe the timing is intentional, it is almost as if ISIS is trying to say that nobody is safe, even in the most sacred day of the month of peace. However, this also indicates that ISIS has nothing to do with Islam. 

I have always been proud of the fact that unlike some of its Muslim neighbors, Bangladesh is not crippled with radicalism. But as ISIS and other terrorist groups try to expand their realm, this maybe changing. While Bangladesh is a country that many will go without having it on their bucket list or ever knowing that it is not India, I proudly call this third world country my home. It is a country that has humbled me, a country that has taught me to speak up about issues that are important. It is a country that has made me give a damn.
While Facebook profile pictures will never have the green and red fi
lter of the Bangladeshi flag to show solidarity, what we can do is that remember that the pain, the fear, and the tears are as real as Paris. Please keep Bangladesh in your thoughts and prayers. And as we approach the end of this holy month, I think we all know what we want for Eid--the end of terrorism.

No comments:

Post a Comment