Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Our Hamartia

I am a huge fan of Greek mythology, thanks to the Percy Jackson series. This series has made me love the eerie weirdness of Greek mythology. Recently I finished reading Percy Jackson's Greek Gods which covers the basics of Greek mythology. While reading, I noticed something important.


If we look at any religion or traditions, all of them suggest their God is perfect. But, Greek mythology walks the path less taken. All of the Gods have some flaws in them. Greek heroes are known to have something called "Hamartia",their  greatest flaw. All the heroes including Hercules, Jason, Odysseus and also Percy had them. But I would say,the Gods aren't very different either. Zeus has his uncontrollable lust for women (And let's just agree, this fact made up most of the Greek mythology). Hera, the queen herself has her vengeful personality and not to mention Athena, my favorite goddess of Wisdom, has a totally unwise ego. I am not trying to insult the Olympians here, but I'm just saying that now that we know a giant tortoise is not holding the Earth (except maybe it is,who knows?) and the Earth and the Earth is not flat (it looks like it tho), it is safe to assume that Greek Gods do not exist. I think the Greeks pictured the Gods in themselves. They realized that we humans, are not perfect. They figured even the most powerful person have some weaknesses of his own, and the wisest person is not wise all the time. And this gave birth to some of the strangest mythology of all time. Really, if there is anything Greek mythology teaches us is that no one is perfect,and it is okay not to be perfect. Our imperfection makes us who we are, and our Hamartia is part of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment