Saturday, December 6, 2014

From Dial Up to Wifi

YAY. It's my birthday!! About 16 years 1 day ago, I was born with the help of a c-section. So you can understand that I am smart by born because I didn't have any intention of coming out to this crappy world. (JK Trolling). I am not making this post about my birthday anyway, I am not THAT important of a person.

So yesterday, my school's wifi was down for like 2 and a half hour and it literally was a MESS. No attendance taken, no online homework done, no nothing. And when it did return, everyone was so EMOCIONADO (HA! SPANISH 1 BRO). I mean,excited. And I was like, no internet for two hours and we are dying. But the thing is, this whole internet thing didn't start too long ago. I was talking to my friend about the time when we first got our internet connection. She was really surprised when I told her I first got my internet connection around 2008. I know I know it was REALLY late, but the thing is I haven't always lived in America. When we got our internet connection in 2008, it was relatively a new thing in the third world country I come from and love, and we were the first ones to get it. I remember I was in 4th grade, and in the middle of the year some men came to my house and put some wires around the house, and put some more wires outside the house. Granted, it wasn't superfast 50 mbps wifi connection, just an old fashioned dial up connection. The ones which are connected to the telephone and you cannot use the telephone and internet together. It seems like it was a 90s thing in United States, but folks it was JUST 6 years ago. Yuss, I know, unbelievable. I remember my father going to Google and telling me that I can search for anything here. And I also joined the Internet Revolution by looking up Spongebob Squarepants (Like a boss) (or not). I cannot fathom how much it has changed since then. In Bangladesh, thanks to the mobile operators, lots of people have internet. I dont really know about the rural areas though, but in the capital everyone has internet. I know it might sound strange why is that a big deal for me, but imagine, 6 years. And a country of 140 million people. Its fascinating how fast it has spread. In the mere period of 6 years, we have gone from just meeting Google for the first time to not being able to live without it. It is not ALWAYS a good thing, but as an internet addict teenager, who am I to talk?

My friend however, has always been used to internet. She can't really remember when she first got it, probably like 1st or 2nd grade. She wasn't born in the States though, she happens to be from Korea. I think I consider myself fortunate for the fact that I can remember when I first got my internet connection. It is just another reminder of the things we do not appreciate enough. And how life is different as we go around the world. I think somehow I know life more than my peers, and it is not ONLY because I have gone from Dial Up to Cable to Wimax to Wifi. But because I have met so many different kind of people, visited so many different kind of places that my vision is not limited to one horizon. Or it could just be me being obnoxious. Who knows?
P;S:To add to that, I have this fascination with travelling because you see so many different colors of life. One of my life objective is to become a hippie and travel the world. Seriously, you will learn much more than you have learned in 12 years of school.

-Mourin

No comments:

Post a Comment