Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Happy Holy-days

So Christmas is here,so are candy canes,Christmas lights, trees and other Christmas decorations. This is all fairly new to me,mind you,I believed Santa was real until I was 13 and I didn't know enough Christians to tell me that he is some made up funny old man. At this time we had Winter break in Bangladesh, and with like 3% Christians, I never saw Christmas decorations and stuff before. And now I am just absolutely fascinated by them. Seriously though,Christmas lights are beautiful. I was talking to my friend who is Jewish,and we were basically whining about how we both wanted Christmas decorations and our parents wouldn't let us buy them. Y u do dis parents ;-;

On that note though, to all those people who thinks Christmas decorations are only for Christians, just think this through. Christmas lights or trees are not even related to Jesus or what Christians believe. It's just a western tradition through which certain companies make money. And so far,it's been working pretty well for them. I am sorry if it offends anyone,but I had to mention this cause I have been seeing posts related to this on Facebook,and it just pisses me off when my fellow Muslims say we can't wish Christmas to our Christians friends. I mean,get a life. Just because our beliefs are different,doesn't mean we cannot share the joy of this season.

I can understand why would people act like this. Just last week,we had people going around singing Christmas songs at our school,and this Jewish kid felt really bad and he ran crying to his Counselor.
I am ashamed of laughing(just a little bit,sorry) when I heard this. I realized later that just because I can adapt more,doesn't mean other people do too. And being part of minority can be frustrating too. But the thing we all need to understand is regardless of our religion, nationality we are the same. Before I am a Muslim or Bangladeshi, I am a human. Religion, Nationality, Ethnicity,these distinctions were created by ourselves. While we are somewhat bound to these, and cannot change who we are, we can certainly work to reduce the tension. There will always be difference between us, but being a human doesn't necessarily mean abolishing all the differences,but understanding and respecting these differences. There is so much more to this world than being caught up on the fact that who gets to buy Christmas trees and who doesn't. And as some smart person who I cant find on the internet once said, "What unites us is greater than what divides us."
If you find who that guy was,please let me know. That guy is awesome.

Until next time then. And Happy Holy-days, no matter what you are celebrating. Whether it is Christmas, Hanukkah (is it over already?) , winter vacations, or just nonstop Netflix.
-Mourin







Happy Holidays! Wishes from ELL group!
Lets name countries : China,China,China, China, Bangladesh, Spain, Korea,China, Israel, Georgia, Japan, Turkey, Russia, Azerbaijan, Brazil and random kid on the floor.

Is it just me or there is too much Asia in this picture? LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment