Wednesday, August 20, 2014

'Merica

As you guys know, I have been in America for a while. What you probably don't know, is that I wear hijab/ headscarf Muslim girls wear. I really didn't know what to expect about people's reaction to it, but the uncertainty wasn't enough to stop me from doing what I believe. So anyways, the thing is I haven't had a bad experience yet, and I think its very unlikely. The thing about America, there's every kind of people here. From the most ordinary to the most strange, from Indians to Latins, America is home to everyone. It's so diverse, and I am not even in New York which I suspect the most diverse state. But as I said, there is all kind of people here, and it feels like America is a small version of the world, where every culture go side by side. Its something only America has. And what makes America special is that its not just ONE country. The diversity makes this country great.
Anyways, enough fangirling. Back to the main story. So I was going to the park with my younger cousins and we were coming out of the apartment a very nice gentleman held the door for us. We got into talking and he told me that he has been in the military and has traveled 20 countries. He said he knew about lots of cultures, especially Muslim culture as he has been in the middle east for a while. He said people here don't know why women wear that (pointing at my hijab) that's why some stare. I said I understood that but I really didn't see anyone staring (maybe I'm too ugly,LOL). He said that its not wise to question any religion or culture and I said I agreed. And I actually do agree, I think every religion & culture is beautiful in its very own way. And he was like "You should be in politics" and I was like "Me? Politics? Heh."
Then we LOL'D(is it even correct?)
Anyways, the nice man's name was Thomas, I told him my name and he said I had a beautiful name( my name is actually American no wonder its rare in Bangladesh).He had somewhere to go,so I bid him farewell.
I can't resist quoting my favourite writer here.
"We spend money to travel the ocean, but people around us contain ocean in their hearts & we never realize."* -Humayun Ahmed
-Mourin
*This quote was originally in Bengali, I translated it so there might be some mistakes.(I'm terrible at translation) Humayun Ahmed is my favourite writer ever,and if you have the time you can check out the novel In Blissful Hell, its not more than 100 pages,and you will not regret reading it. This man can create magic within 100 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment